Saturday, January 13, 2007

Comment on Maxime and Jackson from Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Dear Dr. Carroll,

As you know, we lost Maxime on our floor, and it broke my heart. We adored him, and we are all so thankful you brought him to us. Of course, taking care of him brought tearful memories of Jackson back to me. I go to school full time, but during my winter break, dressed in the CCF green, I spent most of my time in room four, taking care of Jackson. He was so smart, and so kind! But he was so very weak, too.
Reading this, I wonder if it was me ,the nurse-aide, because I bathed him frequently, and I still to this day remember that moment.

I will NEVER forget him. I am haunted by his tired voice, when one day towards the end of my week he asked me, "why didn't you brush my teeth?"
I did not realise that he no longer had the strength to do it himself.
So I got out the toothpaste and brush, and I spoke to him gently as I brushed his beautiful teeth.

I will always remember how he'd sit up and listen to his CD walkman, and read when he had the strength.

I feel very blessed that you brought him to us. I am still working there, but as a nurse trainee, still in school, and of course, it is my winter break and I got to meet Max.

His hard-boiled eggs were still in the hallway fridge. No one had the heart to throw them out last time I checked.

His smile and his sense of humour will live with us. I know I will never forget him. Or Jackson.

Thank you for bringing him to us.

No comments: